I'm Getting Sisters!

If you're a facebook friend of mine or my parents, you may have heard some about this yesterday: I'm getting two new sisters!

Back in December when the group was here, after our Chuntrun visits, we became aware of a need, and tried to provide a solution.

The schools in the mountain places like that only go up to 6th grade, if they're that lucky.
Sure, we all complain about school every once and a while. But, if you were given the choice, I highly doubt any of you would decide to stop school when you're only 12. The kids there in Chuntrun, in Cumbre Del Gramal, and many mountain villages have no choice. The girls go to school for 6 years, and then they become full time babysitters for their parents. Soon after, they're likely to become parents themselves. The boys become farmers. That's life for them, and that's really all they've known.
The school here opened 7th grade this year, for the first time. See where this is going? A while back, we'd offered to let one of the Chuntrun girls, Dora, live with us and go to school here during the weeks.
It was pretty devastating that her parents wouldn't let her, simply because they wouldn't have anyone to watch their kids if she was gone.
We also offered this opportunity to a pair of sisters in Cumbre Del Gramal, ages 14 and 13. Their mother and the younger one came to our house for a meeting, said they'd talk about it, and then we never heard back from them, assuming that the answer was no.
Well the new school year here started today. Yesterday after church, guess who showed up? The girls' parents were there, saying their daughters could come! Noemi(14) and Roxana(13) will be moving in with us this Wednesday. Lots of last minute preparations, tying up loose ends, and such will be going on these next two days!
The girls will be living with us during the week, and going back with their family on the weekends. I'm really excited, if a little anxious about all this. The girls have never had electricity, and don't speak any English. It means some big changes; on both sides. Keeping the work here in your prayers always is appreciated!
... I'm getting two new sisters!! :)
Always,
Erin :)

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
This place? This is my blog! I'm Erin, or you may know me as Ruth. I'm spending this year living in La Palma, El Salvador with my family working with the church, and I'm pretty pumped about seeing some awesome stuff happen through our amazing God. Here, you can read about some of that awesome stuff, catch up with my family news (There's a link to the rest of the fam's blogs above!), or just see what I've been up to lately. Thanks for checking it out! :)



Recent Comments