That's Not Fair!

Have I ever mentioned how much I love the little kids' class I get to help Mom with on Sunday mornings?
... Oh, I have? Well, it's true. I love it.
I especially love when we get to do an activity at the beginning that they don't know has to do with a story, and then telling them the story and watching their eyes light up when they understand.
Last week was the story of Jacob's dream. One of the little boys, Douglas, was Jacob.



He laid down on a rock to go to sleep, and had a dream about the angel (Nathan) climbing up and down the ladder.



Douglas was a pretty good actor, too! When he had to act scared, he was pretty convincing ;)



This morning, we got to do a bunch of new songs with the kids, which I also love. I still have several stuck in my head, as a matter of fact. We taught them "Peace Like a River" in Spanish. That was a lot of fun because they loved learning the motions, especially pretending to surf for "love like the ocean", or "amor como el mar."

The lesson today was also about Jacob. This time about working for Laban for 7 years to get Rachel, and then being tricked and given Leah and having to work another 7 for Rachel. But, the kids didn't know what the lesson was yet.
We've been learning how to say the books of the New Testament, so it seemed normal to them when we offered them a package of cookies if they could say all the books up to Colossians. It wasn't too much of a challenge, because they were all written on the board, and their friends could help them. In fact, it was adorable to watch the older kids help the younger ones. They would say each individual word, even if it meant saying the "first and second"... wait for the younger one... "Corinthians..." Only in Spanish of course :)
But, when all of them had said their books up to Colossians like they were told to, they weren't given what they were promised. Mom "changed her mind." She said something about how even though she'd said they could have a whole package, she was only going to give them one out of the pack. If they wanted the whole thing, they'd have to say all of the books, all the way to Revelation. So they did. And then they got the cookies. But they didn't know there was actually a point to it.
When we started in on the story, the kids realized how unfair it was that Jacob didn't get what he was promised. That's not fair! And they realized that it was exactly like them this morning with their cookie deal. Faces like this are just priceless:



I. Love. It.

More to be posted soon!
Su amiga,
Erin <3

posted under , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
This place? This is my blog! I'm Erin, or you may know me as Ruth. I'm spending this year living in La Palma, El Salvador with my family working with the church, and I'm pretty pumped about seeing some awesome stuff happen through our amazing God. Here, you can read about some of that awesome stuff, catch up with my family news (There's a link to the rest of the fam's blogs above!), or just see what I've been up to lately. Thanks for checking it out! :)



Recent Comments