Valentine's Fiesta-ness in La Palma

So much for my new "regular blogging" like I said I would try. It appears it's been about a month since my last post...
A lot has been going on during that month. Maybe that's an understatement... But we're going to go with one thing at a time!
I received an email wishing me a happy Valentine's Day one day this month, and in the email she said she guessed that if we were doing anything for it my sisters wouldn't really understand why. It's quite the opposite, though. Valentine's Day is much bigger than it is in The States! Dia de Amistad y Amor is celebrated all over. The week of Valentine's Day, though, is also the week of the patron saint of La Palma or something... I don't understand all the reasoning for the celebration, but let me tell you that the word "celebration" doesn't quite cover all the fiesta-ness that goes on in La Palma that week. A huge festival was brought to the town, complete with candy, food vendors, candy, carnival rides, candy, rigged carnival games, candy, and all sorts of other booths selling jewelry and souvenirs. Did I mention the candy? Several blocks of the city were taken up with candy booths.
The entire road from our triangle by the church building all the way up to where the road splits at the hotel (on the 10y15 side) was shut down and full of those things I mentioned, for those of you who have been here before and know the layout of the city. Not to mention the park and market street were also filled and overflowing with people and booths. There was a full on video game arcade set up, a couple ferris wheels and merry-go-rounds, and all sorts of games involving parrots, cards, and dice. Two separate pizza vendors were there, and our time spent with them was delicious. Fire works were blasting every once and a while, starting at 5 AM and going on until late into the night.
Each night was a different event; some at the park, some in the street, and other places across town.
One especially memorable night was the RODEO.
Bull riding, Salvadorian style. Staying home that night? Not a chance.
Was it terrifying? Definitely. Was it awesome? You betcha.
The bulls were kinda lame... It seemed like they could have just been roped over from the farm down the road. The best one we saw was named "Mariposa," which is Spanish for butterfly.
Butterfly. Really?
Except, they explained that he got his name because he can practically fly because he jumps so much. Yeah, that was the most intense match.
The next night was the finale, and there was a big party at the park. There was a short parade, they introduced the "Miss La Palma," live music, more food and candy, and more vendors. Around 11 or so that night was the HUGE fireworks. I'm pretty sure my house was shaking.
I loved the week, it was so much fun. I hope all of your Valentine's Day and weeks were as good!
Blessings,
Erin

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
This place? This is my blog! I'm Erin, or you may know me as Ruth. I'm spending this year living in La Palma, El Salvador with my family working with the church, and I'm pretty pumped about seeing some awesome stuff happen through our amazing God. Here, you can read about some of that awesome stuff, catch up with my family news (There's a link to the rest of the fam's blogs above!), or just see what I've been up to lately. Thanks for checking it out! :)



Recent Comments