A Birthday, Some Prayers, and a Little Road Trip

A few hours ago (hey, that's an improvement from my usual "many days ago!) I posted about the independence day celebrations. The day afterwards was Nathan's birthday. We celebrated with Grandma and Teresa and had some cookie cake. He got to open presents that were brought down with the group that was here (in Honduras at the time), from people at home. And because Dad was feeling sick, he and Nathan spent the whole day putting his presents to use together. Nathan later claimed it was "the best day of his life" :)



Something else happened that morning, though, that I would really appreciate your prayers for. There was an accident involving a semi and a motorcycle. I'd rather not go into details or anything, but it left our friend Janixa a single mother of their adorable four year old son, Vladi. Please, please pray for this family during this difficult time. This is a picture of Vladi and his mother less than 24 hours before the accident:

Grandma, Mom, and I left after Nathan's celebration with Angelino and drove to Honduras. We started at Jorge and Gloria's house. They are always so hospitable and welcoming of people in their home. She fed the team a lunch of some sort of sea food soup. It was actually pretty good! Amy was sitting at our table and she got "the prize" as we joked with her ;)It's difficult to see here, but it was part of a fish.

Pretty soon, all the suitcases from the team were loaded into the van and we headed off for an afternoon in Guatemala! Just a little road trip. I'm still not over the fact that going to GUATEMALA is just a little road trip. Not that I mind ;) We took them to the big Catholic church and Black Christ statue that I posted about about a month ago. But this time, we got to go shopping afterwards! The vendors' booths went on forever and then some. We literally could not see where they stopped. Some were under a huge tarp kind of covering, and divided almost like cubicles. I bought a pretty neat (even if it's tourist-y) bag! I think I have a picture with it on facebook. It was funny to realize that even though the man selling me the bag acted like he spoke English, he really only spoke enough to try to get me to buy his purses. When he first told me the original price, I started to walk away. "How much to pay?!" I turned around at his way of asking how much I was willing to give him. Still unsure, he assured me that "Is nice! Is very nice!" I also got a chance to check out these neat little hats :D

I didn't get one, but they were fun. I absoluetly loved having the American team here. We were really upset when they left. After a teary goodbye, we are all already looking forward to the next visit! Thank you to every single one of you on the team for the gifts you brought, helping us out, and just making this week great. We will miss all of you! When the bus left, we all went home to enjoy some cake and a happy, "feel good" movie. Though none of us can remember right now exactly what. Thanks again to this wonderful team, love you all!

More to be posted soon!
su amiga,
Erin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin -- your contribution to our time was delightful. Thanks for this great post! I sent the fish soup picture to Lydia.....She's laughing really hard. Hope your day has gone great!

Anonymous said...

Missing you Ruth becoming Erin - your postings are such an inspiration!!!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
This place? This is my blog! I'm Erin, or you may know me as Ruth. I'm spending this year living in La Palma, El Salvador with my family working with the church, and I'm pretty pumped about seeing some awesome stuff happen through our amazing God. Here, you can read about some of that awesome stuff, catch up with my family news (There's a link to the rest of the fam's blogs above!), or just see what I've been up to lately. Thanks for checking it out! :)



Recent Comments